Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Thanksgiving with the Family at Kiawah Island

I'm a bit late in posting this, but its our busiest season at the Spa and things have been a little crazy.  I wanted to share some of the highlights from Thanksgiving! 

At work we are usually given a holiday off and it worked out that I was able to have Thanksgiving, which is great because my mom's side of the family always makes fun plans for this holiday.  Like last year we met at Kiawah Island, South Carolina where we rented a big house together.  

I flew in Wednesday morning and was picked up at the Charleston airport by my brother, Patrick, mom, and step dad.  

We spent a little time in Charleston running a few errands before heading to the island.  We had some tasty Carolina BBQ, which is the best, picked up our race packets for the Turkey Day Run, and made a pit stop at Cupcake.  

My Aunt Wendy planned a cookie baking contest for Wednesday and it was in full force when we arrived back at the house.  Teams of two bake cookie bars to be judged by two of our uncles later that night.  

We had six different cookie bars this year.  I made Triple Peanut Butter Monster Cookie Bars, which were delicious, but unfortunately did not win the grand prize.  My two cousins Libbie and Emily were smart and played to judges favorite flavor and made Rocky Road Brownies.  Other entries were Peppermint Brownies, Fluffernutter,  and Raspberry Peanut Butter, so there was no shortage of sweets for this trip!

Thanksgiving morning we got up early to drive into Charleston for the 36th Annual Turkey Day Run 5K with 6500 other participants.  

I'm still not running because of my injury so I walked the Turkey Trot this year.  It was a chilly morning, but it was nice to walk around Charleston.  

When we made it back to Kiawah a few of us headed to the beach to see the Sandcastle Contest entries.  There were some impressive designs.  

Throughout the trip we spent time riding bikes along the pretty paths on Kiawah. 

We also spent time playing lots of games: Scrabble, Apples to Apples, Monopoly, Slap Jack, etc.  One game that was a favorite was called Heads Up.  It is from the Ellen Show and has an app you can have on your phone.  All you do is choose a category and place the phone on your head; a song, show, brand, character, book, movie, or person appears and the other people have to give you clues to guess what it is.  SO MUCH FUN!  The song category was particularly funny because you have to either whistle or hum the song.  This lead to lots of laughing. 

Friday afternoon a bunch of us rode our bikes to go play Disc Golf.  Same rules as regular golf except you use different sized frisbees instead a ball and club.  My brother Patrick had his own set of discs (and was clearly the pro of the group) and the rest of us rented some to play the nine hole course.  I wasn't very good, but it was fun!

I was so glad I was able to make it for Thanksgiving this year and spend some time with my family!

Any special Thanksgiving traditions with your family?  What is one of your favorite games?