Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Running Survey!

I saw this great survey on both Lindsay and Katie's blog this past weekend and decided to join in and answer the questions myself!

Age: 24
Location: Chicago, IL

Year you ran your first mile without walking:  The first mile I ran without a walk break was probably when training for my first real 5K, so July/August of 2010.  During that 5K I did remark on my blog that I ran the whole first mile!  I started running using the run/walk method (which I still use today on long runs) so it was definitely a big deal being able to run a whole mile without a walk break!

Year you became a "runner": I decided to try running in July of 2010 with a basic Couch to 5K program that used the run/walk method.  I slowly grew to love running and ended up doing six races that year as I began running more and more.  It has taken me some time to call myself a "runner" though.  Even after my first half it was strange to think of myself as a runner.  Of course, looking back now that kind of thinking sounds silly.  I was going out there and running, that made me a runner!  

“If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” - John Bingham


Why you run now: I run because it makes me feel good and keeps me healthy.  Running makes me happy, gives me time to de-stress, have fun, and push myself to be the best me.  I love it!  

What's the most you've ever spent on a sports bra? I've only ever worn Moving Comfort sports bra, which I love. I am pretty good about buying them when they are on sale, but I think I spent $50 on the first one.  

First Race: I'm pretty sure it was the Orlando Turkey Trot in 2008 with my family and we walked the whole thing.  Track Shack's Celebration of Running in Orlando in 2010 was my first real timed race though and I ran most of it.  

Last Race: Charleston Turkey Day Run & Wobble Gobble 5K
fam turkeydayrace

Three races you most wish you could run: It is hard to choose just three, but the Flying Pig half or full marathon in Cincinnati because it sounds fun and I've heard good things.  Big Sur because it looks absolutely gorgeous.  The Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta would be neat.  My mom and aunt have run it a few times and it just looks like a fun run.  I'd also really like to run a race in a different country because then I could travel somewhere new and run!  (Hopefully someday I'll be able to say I've done all of these.)

Favorite Race: This is another tough question... The Turkey Trot my family and I did together in 2010 was lots of fun because we all dressed up and ran together for the race.  I also really liked the Publix Georgia Half I did in March of last year with my mom.  We ran together, it was a well organized race in a good city, and I felt strong running it.  And I have to say the Chicago Marathon was awesome too.  I was just amazed the whole time that I was even running it.  The crowd support is spectacular and you get to run all over the wonderful city of Chicago.  



Best running advice you've ever received: Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield has been really beneficial to my running.  It is chock full of good advice for new runners and really inspiring.  Seriously love this book!  Coach Jenny's website and Runner's World column are my go-to places for running advice!

First Running Shoe: The first shoe I was fitted for was the Saucony Progrid Echelon 2.  I am currently running in Brooks Ravenna 3.  


Do you run with a watch? I currently run with my Garmin 305, which I love.  I started running with a simple Timex stopwatch and transitioned to the Garmin when training for my first half marathon.  I love being able to just run and not figure out a route before hand because the Garmin tells me exactly how far I've gone.  
Super happy to have a Garmin!
Running Goals for 2013: My biggest running goal for 2013 is to get back into a good running routine and become a more balanced runner.  Since dealing with my leg injury I have learned how important it is to be a balanced runner, which means working other muscles.  I would really like to run another half marathon and possibly another full marathon this year as well.  Another 10K would be fun too!  I haven't run that distance in over a year!

PRs: 
5K - 35:16
8K - 58:29
10K- 1:19:32
15K - 1:54:31
Half Marathon - 2:45:25
Marathon - 5:54:19

So, your turn: What was your first race?  What are a few races you would like to run someday?