Friday, November 2, 2012

Five for Friday {Nov 2nd}

1.  This past Saturday I finally got a chance to attend the book club some Chicago area bloggers have put together.  I have been working the days it was scheduled before, but this month I was free to attend the meeting at Diana's place.  It was great to see friendly faces and some new ones too!  We spent the afternoon eating and chatting.
pic from Sierra
We read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.  I have heard lots of people talking about her most recent book Gone Girl and was looking forward to reading one of her books.  

The synopsis from the back of the book:
Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice of Kinnakee, Kansas.” As her family lay dying, little Libby fled their tiny farmhouse into the freezing January snow. She lost some fingers and toes, but she survived–and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, Ben sits in prison, and troubled Libby lives off the dregs of a trust created by well-wishers who’ve long forgotten her. 

The Kill Club is a macabre secret society obsessed with notorious crimes. When they locate Libby and pump her for details–proof they hope may free Ben–Libby hatches a plan to profit off her tragic history. For a fee, she’ll reconnect with the players from that night and report her findings to the club . . . and maybe she’ll admit her testimony wasn’t so solid after all.

As Libby’s search takes her from shabby Missouri strip clubs to abandoned Oklahoma tourist towns, the narrative flashes back to January 2, 1985. The events of that day are relayed through the eyes of Libby’s doomed family members–including Ben, a loner whose rage over his shiftless father and their failing farm have driven him into a disturbing friendship with the new girl in town. Piece by piece, the unimaginable truth emerges, and Libby finds herself right back where she started–on the run from a killer.



The story is definitely dark, but I couldn't stop reading it.  None of the characters are particularly like-able, but Flynn's writing style and story pulls you in.  


2.  My workouts this week have been so so.  My work schedule has been a little all over the place so I have been quite tired.  My left leg still feels weird too so I have been taking it easy this week.  I feel a little guilty about not working out as much, but I know that my body needs some rest.  

3.  Fleet Feet Chicago is having their annual See and Be Seen Fall Fashion Show next Wednesday, November 7th.  There are still tickets left for the 9pm show.  It is a great event that showcases some awesome running gear.  A ticket gets you entry to the show, a great goodie bag, and access to the store after the show for beverages, food, and shopping.  I am excited to attend.  If you are local you should get a ticket and come check it out!

4. I have been eating up spaghetti squash like it is my job.  I tried it for the first time last fall and was happy to see it at the market this year.  It is so easy to make and can be used in many different recipes.  I have substituted it for spaghetti and eaten it with marinara sauce and veggies.  I have also made a Mexican bowl with the squash, homemade black bean salsa, and cheese.  Both are great, nutritious meals and perfect for an easy dinner after work.  I bake the spaghetti squash in the oven and have tons of "spaghetti" to have meals throughout the week.  Here is a casserole I shared last year with instructions in the beginning of how to roast a squash.


5. For the past two weeks I have been listening to Mumford & Sons and The Civil Wars on repeat.  I just can't stop listening to their music.  I listen to it on the way to work, hum it all day long at work, listen to it on the train ride home, and listen to it when I get home.  Mumford & Sons is categorized as English Folk Rock.  Both of their albums are amazing.  Their sound is unique with a guitar, banjo, piano, kick drum, and even horns.  Their songs are performed with such passion and I find it hard to not be enveloped by their interesting lyrics.  
The Civil Wars have a quieter sound to their music and is in the Folk/Singer-Songwriter genre.  Their songs are mostly about the good and bad of relationships.  They are emotional and beautifully written and performed by Joy Williams and John Paul White. 
You should go take a listen to both of them, I don't think you'll be disappointed!


Have you read one of Gillian Flynn's books?  What is a song you have on repeat?