Monday, September 3, 2012

Chicago Marathon Training: Week Twelve - Different Schedule

This week was pretty crazy with my work schedule so I had to move some of my workouts around to fit everything in.  


Monday: 60 minute Easy Run - 4.06 mi
Tuesday: 60 minute XT - Core Power Yoga 1.5
Wednesday: 45 minute Run - 3.3 mi
Thursday: 50 minute XT - Bike Ride 8.6 mi
Friday: 18 mile Long Run
Saturday: REST
Sunday: 40 minute Run with Four Stride Drills - 3.45 mi

This week I was covering the evening closing shift at work Sunday through Wednesday and didn't get home those nights until 12am.  I then opened Saturday and Sunday waking up at 5am to get to work, so my schedule was just all over the place which made for a tiring and busy week.  

It was all ready a bit warm when I got out to run Monday morning.  I was tired and a little sore from the long run I had the day before.  It was a slow run and seemed to take forever.  I was very grateful to have my book to listen to.  

Tuesday I walked over to Core Power Yoga for the 1.5 level Power Yoga class which was awesome.  The instructor led us through different variations of yoga poses and a few that were new to me which I really liked.  It was just a great practice! 

Wednesday I skipped my tempo run to do my Thursday regular 45 minute run to fit my schedule.  It was better than Monday's run, but just OK.

Thursday I decided to rent a bike at Lakeshore Bike which is in front of the tennis courts on the Lakeshore Trail.  I rented a bike for an hour, which was only $10 and included a lock and helmet, and had a wonderful bike ride on the trail.  
I really miss being able to ride a bike whenever I want.  The cross training workout was only supposed to be 30 minutes but I was having so much fun that I extended it to 50!  I designated the first 30 minutes as my workout time and the last 20 minutes were easy and just for fun.  Yay for a different form of cross training! 

Since I had Friday off of work it was the best day for me to get my long run in.  The weather forecast said it was going to get pretty warm so I woke up early to try and beat most of the heat.  It was still a bit dark when I started so I ran without music until I got to the lake.  I decided to wear compression sleeves (CEP) for this run since when I ran 16 miles two weeks ago I had some issues with my calf.  I think it kept my legs from cramping.  It was kind of strange running in them at first, but after awhile I didn't really notice them.
The first mile was weird.  I had a hard time finding my pace and just felt strange.  I eventually found a comfortable stride at the end of mile two.  I ran north once I reached the trail and the sun was a pretty orange color as it rose above the lake.  I took walk breaks every two miles or so and ate Honey Stinger Chews every three to four miles.
I usually stay on the north side of the trail but since I had to run 18 miles I ran past Navy Pier and then Soldier Field.  The first 13 miles were good, but then the heat started to get to me.  
I don't run particularly fast so to cover long distances takes quite a long time for me.  It was already 9am so the sun was out in full effect by then.  I had to take more frequent walk breaks and stopped to stretch my legs and splash my neck with water.  Having water fountains on the trail is one awesome thing about running in Chicago.  I stopped to fill my water bottle a couple of times to stay hydrated.  Those last five miles were tough, but I found something in the last mile to finish strong.  A new personal distance record - 18 miles!!
  
I walked some and stretched before making my way to the South Loop Bongo Room location for food.  I decided on the Chorizo Avocado Omelet, which was perfect after that long run.  It was full of spicy chorizo, fresh avocado, cheese, and potatoes.  

When I got home I stretched some more and foam rolled before sitting in an ice bath for about 20 minutes.  I spent the rest of the day relaxing at home.  

After working early Saturday morning I was exhausted and fell asleep actually sitting up in my bed. I slept about two hours, woke up, ate something and then went to bed for real at 9pm and slept the rest of the night until I had to get up at 5am the next morning.  It was wonderful!  

By Sunday I still had to get in one more run for the week, the one I moved from Wednesday which is more of a speed workout.  I did not feel like running when I got home from work, (I definitely prefer morning workouts).  I forced myself to put on my workout clothes, which was a step in the right direction.  From there I ended up lying down on my bed a took an hour nap.  By the time I woke up it was 7:30pm, but I still needed to get that run in so I headed out.  It was cooler then and the run was actually OK once I got going.  I kept a faster pace like I was supposed to and ended with four stride drills. 

It was a quite a crazy week trying to fit in my training workouts, but I figured it out and am glad I got everything in.  My schedule this week is back to normal though, which I am happy about.  One more new long distance run next week and then it is taper time!

Have you ever worn compression gear during long runs?  Do you prefer the morning, afternoon, or evening to workout?