Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chicago Marathon Training: Week Nine - Halfway Mark

That's right, I am halfway through my training plan for my first marathon.  Here's the breakdown of the week.

Monday: 60 minute Easy Run - 4.4 miles
Tuesday: 30 minute XT - Yoga Meltdown Level Two
Wednesday: Tempo B Workout - 3.51 miles
Thursday: REST
Friday: 35 minute XT - Yoga Meltdown Level One
Saturday: 8 Mile Long Run
Sunday: REST

Monday I was back in Chicago from my trip to Beaufort and the weather here was much cooler.  I kept a relaxed pace and ran to Whole Foods to grab some groceries.   

Tuesday I was supposed to do 40 minutes of cross training but I was tired so just went with 30 minutes of yoga.

Tempo and speed workouts are for Wednesday and I was just not feeling it.  I so did not feel like running.  I made a deal with myself that I would run for at least ten minutes and if I still didn't want to continue I would just stop.  I went the ten minutes and decided to keep going.  It wasn't great but I did it.  I did however skip the stride drills at the end.

I was very happy for a rest day Thursday.

Friday was again supposed to be 40 minutes of cross training, but I just did level one of Yoga Meltdown instead which is around 35 minutes.  

The weather Saturday was perfection.  The sun was shining and it was a comfortable 68 degrees when I ran in the morning.  I feel so much stronger and capable running in cooler weather.  The heat just drains me.  I ran from my apartment to the lakefront and down the outer and inner trail to the farmer's market.  I kept an easy pace and felt really good running the eight miles. 

I ordered a new pair of running shoes and headphones earlier and was able to use both for this run.  I got the same kind of shoes as last time, the Asics GT-2170s.  My old ones were getting pretty worn so it was definitely time for a new pair.  
I got some awesome new headphones too.  I had previously been wearing Yurbuds, which I liked, but they have gotten pretty worn and it was time for something new.  When we were at the Georgia Half Marathon in March there were some new headphones from Auria that caught my eye.  My mom got a pair and I finally got some myself.  They are great because they sit comfortably in your ear so you don't get that ache in your ear like with a regular earbud.  They also allow ambient noise to be heard which is good for safety reasons when I run on busy streets or paths.
I was hungry after my run, but unfortunately had a not so great breakfast.  I went to try the Original Pancake House.  It had a good Yelp score, but the food was just not good and not what I wanted.

I can't believe I'm halfway through my training plan.  Eight more weeks left and the next few are going to be intense as I tackle new distances.  I am a bit intimidated but am trying to take it day by day.  

When you don't feel like running do you skip the workout, do it anyway, do another activity, or something else?