Thursday, August 16, 2012

Back to Beaufort

Two weekends ago I finally had a chance to go back and visit my family in my hometown of Beaufort, SC.  It has been a year and half since I was last there so it was nice to visit.  
I flew into Charleston Thursday afternoon where my younger sister, Caroline came to pick me up.  She recently finished up a year of service in the Americorp and came to South Carolina so we could all be together.  We went to one of Caroline's favorite places for lunch Five Loaves Cafe.  It is a small cafe that makes local and fresh food.  We each got a half sandwich and salad.  
Caroline got the caesar salad with tortellini and the mushroom goat cheese burger while I got a roast beef sandwich and a spinach salad with polenta croutons.  
My sandwich was good, although the mustard was a little too sweet for me.  The spinach salad was tasty though.  Caroline's mushroom burger and salad were really good I definitely see why she gets it every time.  

After lunch we drove down to Beaufort where my dad and brother Patrick were waiting for us to arrive.  Beaufort is on the coast of South Carolina so there are lots of rivers, inlets, islands, and creeks throughout the town.  I was born there and lived there until I was about 13 when we moved to Florida with my mom and step dad.  My dad's side of the family still lives there so it nice to go back to see them and see some of my favorite places from my hometown.  It is a pretty small town but full of history as it was established in the early 1700s.  

My grandparents and aunt, who live just down the road from my dad, invited us over to see them and go out to dinner.  We went out to one of our favorite restaurants, Fuji.  It is a small Japanese restaurant that is pretty popular in the town.  
My dad and grandfather knew everyone that was in the restaurant and said hello to them all.  I ordered the shrimp plate with brown rice.  It wasn't quite as good as I remembered but still pretty tasty.  The shrimp sauce is still the best around.

Afterward we stopped by Dairy Queen for a cool treat!  I got a chocolate dipped cone which was so good.  I haven't had one in forever.

On Friday, Patrick, Caroline, and I decided to go to nearby Fripp Island to hangout at the beach and pool.  We have spent many a summer at Fripp and it was fun to go back for a day.  It was a beautiful day for the beach.  We got Publix subs, pretzels, pineapple, and water to enjoy at the beach which was the perfect beach meal.  


After a couple hours at the beach we went to a small pool by the marina for a bit as well.  The three of us had a great time hanging out together, I wish we could do that more often. 
Such a pretty picture, right? ;)
After we got back home I noticed that had gotten really bad sunburn on my thighs.  They haven't seen the sun in forever and were super red and painful.  I was in the water most of the time, but I guess that little bit of sun was too much.  I spent the rest of the weekend rubbing aloe on them.  

That evening we went back over to our grandparents house for a family dinner.  Our cousins were already back to school early, but a couple of aunts and uncles were able to stop by.  My grandmother made her delicious cheese and tomato grits and lima beans.  It was delicious!  My dad also got some fried chicken since most of the people in our family like to have meat with their meal, but Caroline and I stuck with just the grits, beans, and bread.  Lots of stories and laughs were shared throughout the evening.  When we got home we watched the Olympics before heading to bed. 

My plan Saturday was to get up early for my 14 mile run, but I must have been tired and slept two hours past my alarm.  Like I mentioned in my training recap it was a really tough run, but running around Beaufort was nice especially the historic downtown area.  

After my run we decided to go out on the boat for the afternoon.  Since my last visit my dad built a small dock off the back yard into the creek so we could have our boat back there.  
The creek behind Dad's house.  It's quite beautiful.
Dad picked up some sandwiches, from one of the best sandwich places ever, called Alvin Ord's.  I got the turkey which came with mayo, two melted cheeses, lettuce, tomato, and onions all on fresh baked bread.  Caroline, Patrick, and I ate them up on our way out to the sandbar.  Since the boat can only hold three people we road out from the house and my Dad and two of his friends met us out there.  I kept my burned thighs covered up from the sun with a towel on the boat and relaxed in the water the rest of the time.  
We used to go to the sandbar almost all the time with my dad growing up so it was nice to go out again.  When we saw storm clouds rolling in a few hours later we packed up and headed back home.

Once we were all cleaned up we went out to Upper Crust and shared a Malibu Beach pizza  It had spinach, sun dried tomatoes, and feta cheese on it.  The crust was perfect with just the right amount of chew to it and a bit of crunch.
  
Caroline, Dad, and I then went to the local theater to watch the Dark Knight Rises, which I enjoyed.  I had handful of my dad's popcorn and Caroline and I shared a small bag of Twizzlers.   
I was pretty exhausted after such a long day and went to bed as soon as we got home.  

Sunday we had to say our goodbyes.  Caroline left early since she had to drive so we said goodbye to her first.  Patrick and I had to bring the boat back around to our dock.  It was a nice ride most of the way, until we saw big storm clouds lurking.  We were just in our regular clothes and thought we had beat the rain when were hit with stinging rain as we approached the creek.  It then stopped for a bit, but right when were getting ready to dock back home the skies opened and it began to pour.  We were both soaking wet as we walked up to the house!  Dad had picked up breakfast from Bojangles for us though.  After changing, I enjoyed a chicken biscuit and a boberry biscuit, which was so tasty.  We watched some Olympics upstairs for a bit and then I had to head to the airport. 


I left from the Hilton Head/Savannah Airport which is a great little airport.  It was small and clean and I barely had to wait through security.  After a close transfer in Charlotte I made it back to Chicago in the early evening.

I really had a great time back in Beaufort.  I loved being able to spend time with my siblings and dad and visit with other family as well.  Whenever we are together I always wish it was longer.  Hopefully my next trip won't be two years down the road!

What is one of your favorite meals your grandmother made or makes?  What's an activity you enjoy doing with your sibling(s) or family?