Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Chicago Marathon Training: Week Five - Running Routine

Five weeks in and training has definitely become a part of my routine now.  Before this training program I kind of just ran however long I felt and at whatever pace.  I could skip a day and it wasn't a huge deal.  With my program being all laid out I feel responsible for getting out there everyday.  I feel like I have gotten into a good training groove.  I know that I am going to run three or four days a week and what effort, time, and distance to expect.  My internal clock has definitely made a shift as well, because I find myself wanting to go to bed earlier and waking up a few minutes before my alarm most days.  I like knowing what my training for each week is going to be.  It streamlines the process.


So here's the breakdown of this week's workouts:


Monday: 50 minute Easy Run - 3.65mi
Tuesday: 40 minute Cross Training - Yoga Meltdown L1 + extra
Wednesday: Tempo C w/ Stride Drills - 3.70mi 
Thursday: REST

Friday: 30 minute Cross Training - Yoga Meltdown L2

Saturday: 10 mile Long Run 
Sunday: REST


This was pretty similar to last week except for the 10 mile long run.  Whenever I see ten miles I am always a bit intimidated at first.  I have run that distance plus some more several times, but something about seeing that double digit number makes me second guess myself.  I just have to remind myself that I can do it.  
I got up around 5:30am Saturday morning to run along the lakeshore.  I should have gone to bed a little earlier the night before, because I had a hard time getting up.  Before leaving the apartment I fueled with half an oatmeal raisin Clif bar, water, and a handful of pretzels.  I forgot to get more Honey Stingers this week (my favorite long distance running fuel) and decided to bring pretzels, a fruit strip, and G2 this time.  I decided to just run from my apartment to the trail, run north to the top of the trail and then turn around and head south to the city. 
Long runs are supposed to be slow, but those first three miles seemed to take forever.  After that though I felt a bit more comfortable and that I could cover those ten miles.  The G2 and pretzels were OK fuel for the run, but the Honey Stingers or a fig bar usually work better for me.  But that's what training is for to learn what fuel works best for longer distances.  I ate some around mile four, six, and eight.  Around mile 7.5 I got a bad stomach cramp.  This usually doesn't happen to me, but it lasted about a mile and was quite uncomfortable.  I slowed my pace down to help ease the pain, but it didn't help that much.
I also started a new audiobook this week, We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee.  I saw the movie a few weeks ago and it was such a great story that I wanted to learn some more about how this family ended up running a zoo.  

I like to end my runs by the Green City Market so I ended up doing a the last two mile around Lincoln Park.  After some stretching I grabbed a Seedling raspberry/blueberry smoothie and sausage and cheese bread from Crumb.  

After a shower I was still hungry and made a mexican omelet and then proceeded to fall asleep.  I was tired and ended up taking a two hour nap.  When I woke up from my nap I had hunger pains again.  I decided to walk to Lincoln Square and grab some dinner.  I ate al fresco at Cafe Selmarie.  I got the Grilled Chicken Caesar salad, which was good.  There was a little too much dressing.  I wish there were more veggies in a caesar salad though.  Carrots and tomatoes would have made it perfect.  
Since I was nearby I decided to grab a small cup of gelato at Paciugo.  This place is awesome and they have some unique and rich flavors.  I got the Sea Salt Caramel, Pistachio Almond, and Chocolate Cookies and Milk.  Gelato is pretty decadent, but I like how they serve it to you with a mini spoon in a small cup.  When taking small bites it makes it seem like the serving is actually bigger.  It was oh so good.
This week I have four days of running on the schedule which includes a big 12 mile run for Saturday.  Here's to an awesome week!


Do you have a schedule for running when you are not training for something?  Any tips for what to do when you get a cramp while running?