Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Minor Setback

Last Thursday while at work I noticed some pain on the side of my right ankle.  I stand on my feet all day, so it was uncomfortable.  There was also an ache in my knees.  I immediately had a mini freakout thinking it was the worst possible thing.  
My last run had been the night before at Fleet Feet Chick's Night where I had a really great 4.5 mile run.  I felt a slight soreness in my leg, but just figured it was a muscle thing.  I didn't want to make things worse so I decided to ice the aching areas, rest my legs as much as possible at home, and wear my compression socks.  Things weren't great the next few days, but I continued my routine of rest, ice, and compression.


My legs and knees have finally started to feel better the past two days though, which I am so grateful for.  I love running, like seriously love it.  Not only does it help me lose/maintain my weight, but it is also a great stress reliever and makes me feel good in general.  I don't belong to a gym or anything so I haven't had access to a bike or elliptical to do some other form of cardio, which has made this week hard.  I did a yoga DVD Sunday morning for about 30 minutes and went to yoga at Core Power this morning for an hour.  I have had runner's knee issues in the past and the ache in my knees feels familiar, it is the ankle/calf pain that had me concerned.  I am going to attempt a run tomorrow morning.  My legs are pretty much back to normal and I think I should be good for a run.  I am going to take it easy and be really mindful of how I am feeling.  If I notice any pain I will stop.  I definitely do not want things to get worse.  Marathon training has just started so I am going to be really cautious.  Luckily it is just the beginning, so I think I should be OK.  
I am still not sure what was going on, maybe a pulled muscle or overtraining??  I am going to make sure to focus on stretching more after my runs.  I used to be really diligent about it, but have slacked off a bit.  I am still considering the Chicago Women's Half in a few weeks, but it all depends on how I feel running the next few days.


The internet and TV service went out at the apartment and we got the run around from the service provider, AT&T.  We have had no service for four days.  I was not happy.  I wanted to run, but couldn't, so the past few days have been a little stressful.  Thankfully, it was finally fixed this morning and I am so relieved.  I used my phone to check essential things, but not having the internet is just an inconvenience.  I did get to read some more of my book, Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult.  I have been reading this for awhile and am almost finished now.  It was the book I took with me when I babysat, but I haven't been doing that as much, so it was put to the side.  I also rented several movies at the nearby Redbox.  


I also just got some race pictures from Soldier Field 10 Mile that aren't too bad so I thought I'd share! 





Thursday evening my mom is coming to visit and will be running the Chicago 13.1 race this weekend.  I am so excited to see her! 


How do you deal with an injury or setback in your workout or training routine?