Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Georgia Half Marathon Expo and the Chocolate Buffet

I was in Atlanta this past weekend to run my third half marathon the Georgia Half Marathon.  We have family that lives there so it made for a great chance to visit family and run a race.  I arrived midday Friday and my mom picked me up at the airport.  From there we decided to go to the race expo to pick up our race packets.  As soon as we walked in we discovered that part of the expo hall had been turned into a mini Publix store!  


There was lots of great food to taste all over the expo including lentils, tomato soup with avacado, chips and salsa, Annie's cheddar bunnies, hummus and pita chips, bread with olive oil, cranberry juice, lemonade, and Chobani!
We checked out all of the booths at the expo and admired some cute running gear.  My mom ended up finding some shoes and new headphones.  I needed a new running hat and found a good one at the Nike shop. 
In our race packet we got a great bag that can double as a backpack or handheld bag.  The race shirts are great too!  They are gender customized and have a great design.  


Later we got to my aunt's house to see the family and had a tasty grilled chicken salad for dinner.  Our plans for later that evening were to attend the Celebrity Chocolate Buffet at the Four Seasons.  The celebrity this Friday was Dolvett Quince from the Biggest Loser.  We arrived to see a grand set up of chocolate.  It all looked so pretty.  We were lucky enough to get a nice reserved table in front of the buffet.  We saw Dolvett standing to the side and went up to speak with him.  
He looks exactly like he does on TV and was just as friendly.  After meeting we all chatted for a bit.  We told him that we were running the half marathon this weekend.  I never really know what to say when meeting people, but my aunt mentioned my weight loss and Dolvett congratulated me.  He said he had to give me a hug for that because it was amazing.  We chatted a bit about healthy living; I said although it can be hard at times it is all worth it.  We also talked about running for a bit and I mentioned I would be doing my first marathon this year.  He then gave me one of those high fives he always gives his contestants.  He was really so nice and supportive and it was so cool to meet him.
I have to admit it was kind of strange meeting a personal trainer at a chocolate buffet and discussing my 100 pound weight loss before getting ready to eat a lot of chocolate but, whatever, it was still neat.  It was special event and too good to pass up!


To the chocolate!  Everything on the buffet line looked delicious. 
My aunt works at the hotel so she introduced us to many people that work there including the pastry chef.  We got in line to fill up our plates with chocolatey goodness.  I think I went up to the buffet about three times.  I loved the chocolate fondue with the fresh strawberries and pineapple.  The fudge squares, brown butter chocolate chip cookies, and the Guinness cupcakes were also my favorites.
The three of us had a fun evening indulging at the Chocolate Buffet!


What chocolate treat would you like to see at a chocolate buffet?