Saturday, February 4, 2012

I'm Going to Run a Marathon!

AHH!  I did it!  I am officially registered for my first full marathon!  I will be running 26.2 miles through my new city, Chicago, October 7th.  
I wasn't sure I wanted to run a marathon, but after seeing my mom complete her first one last year the idea was planted in the back of my mind.  I figured I needed more time to really decide since it is such a big commitment.  It wasn't until volunteering a few months ago at the 2011 Chicago Marathon that I finally decided I wanted to actually run a marathon.  I was so inspired by seeing and cheering on those thousands of people.  I knew I had to do it.  I wanted to do it, and if I trained properly, I could.  I contemplated a few different marathons, but finally committed to Chicago.  I live in the city so I won't have to worry about travelling, it is one of the top marathons in the country, and the energy and crowd support is some of the best.
Registration opened this past Wednesday at noon.  I was working, but as soon as I got home that evening I logged online and registered!  I will be one of 45,000 people running the 35th Annual Bank of America Chicago Marathon - I cannot wait!
I am currently rereading Marathoning for Mortals and plan on figuring out my training schedule soon.  This is the real deal people.  It is crazy to think about how far I have come - I almost can't believe it!


Who else is registered for the Chicago Marathon this year or tackling their first marathon this year?  If you have already run a marathon what race did you choose?