Friday, January 27, 2012

A Quick Five for Friday

I am joining the Five for Friday crowd this week for a quick update of what's been going on!


1. I just finished off a six day work week and am happy to have the weekend off.  There is a Lululemon Warehouse Sale in town this weekend that I plan on checking out and a few local bloggers are going to get together for yoga and dinner Saturday. 


2. Last Friday a little snowstorm hit Chicago which covered everything in snow.  It was really pretty.  I couldn't resist walking home through it.  About 5-8 inches were on the ground by the time it ended.  The weather since has included rain and warmer temperatures so now there are only a few piles of snow left...
On my way back home from the store Friday afternoon.
My party outfit. (sorry for the blurry picture...)
3. That same night there was a big holiday party for the whole hotel at work.  I am more of a quiet person and was a little unsure about going.  My coworkers have been talking up the party, pretty much since I started, and made me promise that I would come and dance.  Because of the snow there were some delays and problems with public transit, but I ended up making it downtown.  Some people who live in the suburbs couldn't make it through though.  The party had a 1920s theme and the grand ballroom was fully decorated.  There were prizes and  food and dancing.  We all had a fun evening!  




4. I recently finished listening to Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand.  I like to listen to books when I run and this was such a good one to run with.  It tells the story of Louis Zamperini who went from being a rebellious kid to a runner at the Berlin Olympics to an airman for the United States to a prisoner of war in Japan.  The book is the story of his life and all the experiences he went through.  It reads like a fiction book, but is all factual.  It is almost unbelievable everything he went through and a truly amazing story!  I can't recommend this book enough. 


5. Registration for the Chicago Marathon is Wednesday.  I'm excited to register for my first marathon and am crossing my fingers I get a spot!