Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Favorites


Source: imgfave.com via Cate on Pinterest

Nichole over at Live For the Run did a great post recently listing her favorite things about Christmas and a few others have done the same.  Since Christmas is my favorite holiday as well I couldn't pass up making a list of my own.


Tradition: When we were younger we used to open one present on Christmas Eve.  Driving around to see the Christmas lights on houses. For the past few years my siblings and I have made gingerbread houses as well.
Movie: The Family Stone, Love Actually, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, The Santa Claus


Songs: I love tons of Christmas songs, but these are a few of my favorites: Christmas Canon, Hard Candy Christmas, The Christmas Song, Merry Christmas Darling, All That I Want.  I am enjoying the new Michael Buble album and some Straight No Chaser this year.  Plus A Rosie Christmas has lots of great songs and most of the Glee Christmas songs too.  Honestly, the only Christmas songs I really dislike are I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas and All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth.  I cannot stand either- so annoying. 


Naughty or Nice: Nice


Real or Fake Tree: Real.  I know they're a pain to clean up after, but I love the fresh pine tree smell.
Multi-color or clear lights: I think both are nice.  It just depends on how they are used.  For instance I like the clear lights on my grandmother's tree, but colored works for ours at home.
Smell: The christmas tree, homemade dinners, baked goods, peppermint.


Seasonal Treat: Our grandmother makes her famous Christmas cookies every year.  They are just sugar cookies with green frosting, but are crazy popular.  Everyone always asks "Has Granny made the Christmas cookies yet?"  We look forward to them every year and they are gone in no time.  Unfortunately, I can't make it to Beaufort this Christmas so I won't get to have them this year.  Maybe when I visit next year she can make a special batch!
From Christmas last year in Beaufort.
Giving or Receiving Gifts: The anticipation of both are exciting.  


Sight: I enjoy sitting in the glow of the Christmas tree.


Best Gift: That's hard to choose... Games or activities that we can do together as a family are always fun, because then it becomes an experience we remember.  For example when we got a Nintendo Wii a few years ago.  We have had so much fun playing Guitar Hero or Wii Sports or Just Dance together.  


Special Memory: I had the hardest time sleeping on Christmas Eve and when I was younger would wake up super early.  I remember a few Christmases when I walked out of my room to see if Santa had already come.  I would tip toe to the tree and check out all the presents (gifts from Santa were unwrapped when we were younger).  I distinctly remember when I was about eight and walked out to see a big plastic play store!  It was really hard to go back to sleep then!  


Dislikes: That the season isn't longer.  Not being able to spend more time with family.


I arrived in Orlando Tuesday evening and have been having a great time so far with my family.  Hope you are having a wonderful holiday as well!


What are some of your favorite things about the season?

Source: etsy.com via Cate on Pinterest