Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Weekend in Review: Blogger Meet-up and a Long Run

This weekend my schedule was filled with activities.  It all began Saturday morning with a mini blogger meet-up.  Marisa, from Mind Over Booty, planned a yoga and brunch date for some Chicagoland bloggers.  Diana, from Veggie Next Door, (who as recently become my running buddy at Fleet Feet Chick's Night) forwarded the information to me and I was glad it worked with my schedule.  Marisa, Diana, and I were the only ones who could make it, but the three of us had a great morning!
source
We met at Imagine, A Yoga Studio which is just in Roger's Park.  I know some about yoga through DVDs and stretching, but had never actually practiced at a real studio.  I was a little intimated about going, but Saturday morning was Gentle Yoga.  The studio was great and the class was only $10.  I loved the easy flow through all the poses and it was such a great stretch.  I am thinking about heading back to Imagine to check out some of the other classes and instructors.
After class we took a short walk to M. Henrietta for brunch.  The place was bustling with people, but we pretty much got a table right away.  Everything on the menu looked delicious.  They are all about using fresh, mostly organic foods and have many vegetarian and vegan options on the menu.  I went with the Latina Omelette which was full of black beans, onions, cheese, and tomatoes with a side of roasted potatoes and plantains.  It was really good.  I tried the plantain, but it wasn't really my thing.  


I will definitely go back though because many other things on the menu caught my attention and I want to go try them.  Plus I love supporting local businesses that share my food philosophy. 
source
Over brunch the three of us had time to chat and get to know each other which was great.  I moved to Chicago not knowing anyone, beside my good friend who moved with me, so getting to know new people is great.  And we already share an interest in health, exercise, and blogging, which helps.  I am usually nervous, quiet, and awkward in new social situations, but most of that went away after meeting Diana and Marisa.  They are both really nice and had lots of great stories and information to share.  If you have other bloggers in your area plan a small meet-up it is such a great way to meet new people!

Lakeshore Trail (from a previous run)
I worked Saturday evening at the spa, came home, and pretty much passed out it in bed.  I planned to get up early and do my long run for the week, but I must have been pretty tired, because I slept through my alarm.  Luckily, the weather was cool, so getting out later in the morning wasn't a big deal.  I had nine miles planned, which is my longest before my first 15K (the Hot Chocolate 15K) in three weeks.  I have run the distance before, but it has been a few months, and the idea of going that far again was a little daunting.  I knew I could do it though and kept reminding myself.  I ran on Lakeshore Trail, which I love because it is pretty, traffic free (so no stopping at lights), and there are plenty of other people being active as well.  It took a mile or so for me to warm up, but then I got in a good groove.  
I have been listening to the Hunger Games series during my runs, which are so intriguing.  It makes me look forward to my runs even more.  I just started Catching Fire and it had me throughly engaged during my run.  I sipped on my G2/water mixture and had about five Honey Stingers throughout the run.  As I was finishing the last mile I began to feel a stinging pain on the inside of my left pinky toe.  It was a blister and a painful one at that.  I have never gotten a blister there before from running, so it is kind of weird that it happened.  
I was downtown when I finished, and hungry, so I stopped by West Egg Cafe for something to eat.  I have been craving pancakes for awhile so I knew I wanted that, but figured I should probably get some protein in as well and order two eggs.  I ate everything but the English muffin.  It was pretty standard cafe/diner food, but that pancake and syrup were delicious.


The rest of the day was spent icing my knees (which I do after every run), eating some homemade pizza, and heading downtown to babysit for a really cute family. All in all it was pretty good weekend.   


Have you ever been to a blogger meet-up or met a fellow blogger?  Have you read The Hunger Games series?