Sunday, October 30, 2011

I Met Bob Harper!

Friday morning I was checking Twitter and saw that Bob Harper, from The Biggest Loser, was going to be in town.  He tweeted that he was going to be downtown Saturday morning, so I checked and rearranged my schedule a bit so I could go see him.  I have watched The Biggest Loser since the first season and think I only missed one (I can't remember why).  I love seeing the contestants transform their bodies, learn more about themselves, and discover who they really are.  It is really inspiring.  Bob was a favorite right away.  I love his attitude and how he encourages the contestants to be the best they can.  
Everyone wants an autographed photo of Bob Harper eating oatmeal, right?
I started the morning with my last long run before the Hot Chocolate 15K next week.  I had five miles on the schedule and made sure to get out by 7 AM so I would have time to get over to NBC Chicago.  It was a cold morning at 37 degrees.  I wore my only pair of long pants (which I definitely need more of), a long sleeve tech shirt, a jacket, gloves, and my new beanie I won from LOLE at Fleet Feet's Chick's Night.  I was excited to run so I could continue listening to Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games series.  I am 3/4ths of the way through and I am totally engrossed in the story.  It gives me another reason to look forward to my next run, knowing that I get to listen to more.  It was a good run and I made sure to keep a pretty even, easy pace down Lakeshore Trail.  

I ended by the Green City Market (an amazing farmer's market) and quickly grabbed some of my favorites: honeycrisp apples, whole wheat bread, and a tasty egg sandwich.  I then got on the bus headed to downtown.  


I arrived at the NBC Chicago building and found the Quaker Oatmeal truck where Bob was going to be (it was National Oatmeal Day).  There were about 20-30 people outside waiting when someone came to tell us Bob was on his way and that there would be time for an autograph, photo, and a question for everyone in line.  
Soon Bob arrived and said hello to everyone.  You know sometimes you see people on TV but in person they look or act differently, not the case with Bob Harper.  He looks and acts just like he does on TV, which was nice.  
I waited in line for maybe 10 minutes and got up to meet him.  I was kind of nervous and didn't really know what to say.  He's just a normal guy who happens to be on TV though and tried to get over it.  I shook his hand and told him how nice it was to meet him.  I got a quick picture and autographed headshot as well.  I mentioned that I had lost over 100 pounds and he responded with, "That's a big deal!" and something along the lines of "good for you." I said thanks and told him how much I enjoyed his workout DVDs and watching The Biggest Loser.  


It was a really quick meeting that ended with well wishes, but he was very nice and encouraging.  Bob is really motivating and definitely knows what he is talking about when it comes to weight loss and fitness.  I would love to have a personal training session or workout with him; I just think that would be awesome.  It was really cool to meet him in person !


The rest of my weekend I worked and the cleaned the apartment for my mom's upcoming visit.  She is coming up later this week to run the 15K with me and hang out in the city.  We have a long list of restaurants, stores, and things we want to do, so it is sure to be fun.  


Have you ever met a celebrity?  What fitness star would you like to workout with?