Monday, September 19, 2011

What Do You Do Without Your Computer?

Hello again!  I have been a bit disconnected for the past two weeks.  My beloved MacBook had to go to the Apple Repair center and it took about a week to get back in my hands.  Sorry about the mini disappearance.  I have been on twitter here and there through my phone, but my work schedule was different this week, which didn't leave much time to actually be on the computer.  
So with no computer for a week, I didn't know what I was going to do.  I simply went in to the Apple Store to get some help fixing my iChat and it turned into something much bigger.  I use my MacBook everyday to check mail, go on the internet, watch TV, blog, read the news, etc.  At first I was majorly bummed to have no computer, but it wasn't as horrible as I thought. 


Not having my computer made me realize how much I really use and depend on it.  If I am not on the computer, my phone is nearby.  It made me think about how everything is technology based today.  It is both interesting and crazy to think about how dependent we are on technology.  If something were to happen and we no longer had access to our phones or computers I think chaos might ensue because people would have no idea what to do.  I wasn't completely disconnected for the week since I had my iPhone, which can do almost everything a computer can, except on a much smaller screen.  Not having the computer was more of an inconvenience than anything else.  So without the computer I found some other ways to fill my time.  
I spent more time reading my current book, Handle With Care, by Jodi Picoult and the latest issue of Runner's World.  


Went to the movies and saw Crazy, Stupid, Love which I loved.  
source
Met and got lunch with Katie from Peace, Love, and Oats at Sultan's Market in Lincoln Park.  
(source: Peace, Love, and Oats)
Took my time at the grocery store and checked out some new foods.
  
I began my training plan for the Hot Chocolate 15K.  

I discovered that Netflix and Hulu have iPhone apps so I watched a few shows on my tiny phone screen.  

Otherwise most of my time was spent at work and getting a few more hours of sleep in, which was nice.



Although the time away from the computer was fine I was so glad to get the call last Tuesday that my MacBook was back.  My iChat is still not working (the thing I originally went in to get fixed), but my computer is back home.


Since having my computer back, I have noticed I haven't been on it as much as I was before it had to be sent away.  This is partly because of my schedule, but I enjoyed taking the time to read or go out with a friend instead of just plopping down in front of the computer. I want to spend my time doing other things, and although I really like the internet I want to make sure I get to do the other things I like too.  The whole computer situation was not expected, but I think it turned into something good.


How often are you on your computer or smart phone?  What would you do without access to your computer for a week?