Monday, August 1, 2011

Favorite Podcasts & Riding the L

It has been busy, busy, busy the past week and it looks like the next two weeks will be the same.  I mentioned on Twitter last week that I got another part time job!  I am now working as a receptionist at a great hotel spa downtown.  I have finished up orientation and on the job training has begun.  There is a lot to learn, but the place is really nice and the people are wonderful.  I think this will be a great place for me.  
As I was walking home the other day I realized that I am actually working three jobs!  That is crazy, but I am so grateful to have them.  I am slowly making my way in the real world.  The craziness comes with scheduling and commuting to each job.  I have a few packed days this week, but once I get all the schedules figured out things will balance out a bit.  
Along with each job there is about a 45 min to one hour commute, since I live on the north side of town.  With no car here, walking, trains (the L), and buses are how I get around, but of course these add more time to the commute.  Since a good chunk of my day is spent in transit I have been trying to come up with ways to take advantage of the time.  Having a smartphone is useful in this situation.  I can check Twitter, Facebook, read blogs, listen to music, or play Words or Hanging With Friends (my username is cate_11, if you want to play!), the important stuff, right?  This is good because instead of waiting until I get home to do these things I can do them on the go.  

I have also been enjoying some podcasts as well so I thought I would share a few of my favorites.  I love the Stuff You Missed in History Class and Stuff You Should Know podcasts from How Stuff Works.  They are usually 30-40 minutes long and I learn something new and unique each time I listen to them.  


I have also been enjoying This American Life.  Every week they gather four or five stories  that deal with or revolve around a theme.  These stories are about real people and events and are in a variety of forms from interviews to stand-up comedy acts.  It can be hit or miss sometimes, depending on the theme, but usually I find them really interesting.  


And I can't forget about The Sporkful "It's not for foodies it's for eaters."  The two guys who host the podcast seriously go into depth about food and how it should be eaten in their opinions.  It's entertaining and funny.  It also makes me hungry.
I like the Nutrition Diva and Get-Fit Guy from Quick and Dirty Tips, as well for little snippets of information every now and again.    


How do you fill the time on your commute to work? Do you like to listen to podcasts; what are some of your favorites?