Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What's Going On

It is quite warm here today and my apartment has no air conditioning or ceiling fans.  The weather has been nice enough that we can usually get a good breeze into the place with the windows open, but not so much today.  So I am sweating in my apartment sitting in front of my small oscillating fan.  I have applied to some more jobs and in fact have an interview this weekend and some babysitting dates set, which is good.  


I have been in Chicago for almost a month now and have a few random things on my mind that I thought I would share here.

  • Walking.  I am walking a lot.  Living in a walkable city is a great thing.  I usually don't have to travel too far to get to any one place.  Since I don't have a real need for a car I have been using public transportation to get around, but of course there is not a train station or bus stop in front of every location you need to get to, so walking is of course involved. But it's a good thing - I am moving more everyday!  
    "Just put one foot in front of the other..."
  • Animals.  I miss my cats dearly.  It is so strange not seeing them everyday.  However, every time I walk outside I see a cute dog, cat, bird, or bunny and that puts a smile on my face.  
Check out these two cats enjoying the view!
Some random deer just hanging out in a front yard.
  • Trader Joe's Delights.  Having access to Trader Joe's is wonderful.  I get to enjoy some of the tasty, affordable food they sell there.  Soft Pretzel Bread Stick - Check.  Peanut Butter Cream Cheese- Check.  Pita Chips- Check.  Marinara Sauce- Check.  The list goes on and on really, but I wanted to share a little Trader Joe's creation I have been making and enjoying recently.  Are you ready?  A warm whole wheat bagel (or english muffin) with a little bit of peanut butter, peanut butter cream cheese, and raspberry jelly.  Superdelicious (and quite filling).  I have enjoyed this all times of the day.  It might not be the prettiest thing and it can get a little messy, but it is oh so tasty.
Deliciousness.
  • Running in the Heat makes you Sweaty.  Did you know this one already?  Probably so, but it was the first pretty hot day here and I was reminded of how sweaty I can get after a run in that kind of heat.
whew!  
  • Books.  Who doesn't like a good book, right?  Well as I mentioned before I like to listen to audiobooks while I run and today I finished one I have been listening to for a while - The Pillars of the Earth.  Yeah, it is a looong book, but it is such a great story.  For those not familiar, it takes place in 12th century England and tells the story of the many people involved with and surrounding the building of a new cathedral.  It is full of action, love, politics, royalty, mystery, monks, betrayal, architecture, death, peasants, religion, and history.  It took around 40 hours to listen to, but was worth every minute!  So I am now trying to decide what my next book is going to be...  
Do you have a favorite Trader Joe's item?  What are you currently reading?