Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What I Ate Wednesday

I saw this series on a few blogs I read and decided to join in.  Peas & Crayons started the series as a way to share what food you eat.  I don't usually blog all of my eats, but I thought this would be fun to participate in.  It is interesting to see what other people eat and you can possibly get some new meal ideas - I know I usually find something!  
In addition to sharing with you guys I can also see an overview of some of the foods I eat.  
So here is what I enjoyed yesterday:


Breakfast: Spinach, Mushroom, & Cheese Omelette.  




Midday Snack: Fresh Cherries.  I only discovered how much I like cherries about three years ago.  They are perfect right now so pick some up!


Lunch: Train Wreck & Sauteed Asparagus.  Train Wreck is a family recipe that I grew up eating and always seems to be one of the meals we eat when the whole family gets together during holidays.  For years I didn't question why it was called Train Wreck.  It wasn't until a few years ago that I realized that it is a little morbid, but this casserole-like dish is tasty, so the name stays with it.


Here's how I made it:
1/2 box of whole wheat pasta
1/4 cup diced onion
1/2 pound ground beef
3/4 can kidney beans
1 1/2 cans diced tomatoes
5 oz 2% colby jack cheese, shredded
salt & pepper to taste


1. Cook the noodles following box directions.  
2. In a hot skillet sauté onions until just translucent.  Add in ground beef, season with salt and pepper, and brown.  
3. Turn heat down and add in kidney beans until warm.
4. After noodles are cooked & drained transfer back into saucepan.  Add beef & bean mixture, diced tomatoes, and cheese to the noodles and stir until mixed.  Season to taste. Serve warm.


See, super easy and quite filling.  And you can totally make it vegetarian by skipping the beef and adding more beans.  It is good with other veggies mixed in too, like broccoli.  


Snack: Handful of Reduced Guilt Pita Chips and Tablespoon of Hummus plus a Pomegranate Fruit Strip (forgot to take a picture)


Dinner: Double Chocolate Cookie, Peanut Butter, & Vanilla Milkshake.  No, I don't eat big desserts like this every night, usually something smaller, but sometimes you just want dessert for dinner, right?  I made these cookies (although about half the size) the other day and decided to make a big treat out of it.  I schmeared the cookie with some PB and made a mini vanilla milkshake by stirring together some light ice cream and 1% milk.  Then I broke apart the cookie and added it into the shake and ate it all up with a spoon.  It was crazy delicious!


As for drinks, I pretty much have water with me at all times.  I don't drink much else besides that.  


Well there you have it.  Go check out the WIAW link up to see some other eats as well!  
Hope everyone is having a good week!  It looks like some good things are happening job wise for me and I plan on sharing soon.