Thursday, May 5, 2011

One Week to Go & Lots to Do

I have been busy trying to finalize all of the details for the big move to Chicago.  I am moving to a big, new city far away from most of my family.  This is really a huge deal and consciously I have know this since I made the decision, but it is really starting to hit me as the days grow closer.  I want to do this.  I need to do this.  Chicago has a certain energy and charm that appeals to me.  I am nervous, but excited to see what happens next!


I have a countdown on my dashboard until moving day and it is telling me I only have 6 days left.  Time has flown by because I swear it just said 41 days left the other day.  I will be packing up my VW Passat with my stuff to take the 18 hour drive to Chicago with my mom.  I looked at several different options in moving such a long distance, but driving ended up being the cheapest and easiest.  I won't need a car living in the city so the plan is to sell my car soon after we get up there.


I have a big to do list written up and am slowly checking things off it.  Here are a few of the things I have done:

The upstairs living room is full of my stuff.
  • I have been going through all the stuff that I had in my college apartment and weeding out the things I don't use or need.  
  • Washed all blankets, towels, and sheets to pack.
  • I sold a few things on ebay to make some extra money. 
  • Donated lots of books and clothes to Goodwill that are too big for me now. 
  • Went through my huge pile of magazines and recycled the rest.
  • I got all the trash out of my car, cleaned all surfaces, and vacuumed it.  Plus I got my tires rotated - I want to make sure the road trip will be as smooth as possible.
  • Called to have car insurance end next week.
  • Set up appointment to have my car appraised.
  • Began packing up some of my clothes.
  • Packed plates, cups, silverware, pots, pans, and bakeware in boxes. 
  • Ordered a new bed from IKEA and had it delivered to the apartment (my roommate Kristin is already in Chicago.)
  • Set up internet service.

I still have a good bit left to do but it is mostly all detail work like,
  • Getting the measurements for the windows so I can bring the right curtains.
  • Change my mailing address for magazines, bank, and credit cards.
  • Laundry.
  • Finish packing the rest of my clothes.
  • Make sure to bring cleaning supplies.
  • Send some e-mails and apply for some jobs.
  • Print out driving directions.
  • Musics, books, magazines, food and drinks for the car trip.  
  • Figuring out how I am going to organize and fit everything in my car so there is still room for me and my mom.  I might need to ship some things if I don't have enough room.  
I am sure I am forgetting something, but at least I have five more days to figure it out.  Plus there is all the unpacking and shopping to do when I actually get up there.  
I am kind of overwhelmed, not just by my to do list, but the fact that I am actually moving to Chicago.  Fingers crossed everything goes well!   

Our Girls on the Run Final Celebration 5K is this Saturday at Pointe Orlando as well.  This is the last race I have on my schedule right now.  Once I get settled in Chicago I know some race will catch my eye!  For now I am just keeping up with running three days a week and cross-training two.  I know we are going to have a great time this weekend and it will be a nice distraction from the tedious job of moving.