Sunday, May 8, 2011

Girls on the Run Final Celebration - I-Drive 5K Race Recap

Girls on the Run is amazing!  The lessons, the girls, the running, and fun make it such a fabulous program and our run Saturday was just a cherry on top of it all!  We participated in the I-Drive 5K Run at Pointe Orlando and had a great time.


It was an early morning that began around 5:45 AM.  I made sure I had all the race packets and my gear and headed off to Pointe Orlando.  I ate half a Clif bar and had some water on my way across town.  Everyone met around the GOTR table and pinned on their race bibs, D-tags, put on some tattoos, and got ready to run.  Victoria, over at Running Peanut, volunteered to be a Running Buddy today as well.  She is super friendly and it was great to meet her!  (check out her blog for some great race photos too)

After a big group photo we got to the start line just in time and hopped into a free space.  All of our girls had Running Buddies (mostly their parents) so Victoria and I just ran together and encouraged the girls.  We stuck near one of the girls in our troop and ran with her the whole time.  



The weather was perfect for running!  The course was a pretty standard loop with one hairpin turn.  The turn made it easy to spot the other girls in our team though, which was great because we got to cheer each other on! 


Check out that GOTR race bling!
We kept a pretty steady pace throughout the race with a walk break or two each mile.  The three of us chatted as we ran and helped our runner finish strong.  She is great sprinter and flew through the finish line.  


Once everyone had finished we met up and all the girls received their finisher's medal.  Everyone really pushed themselves and had times ranging from 25 -39 minutes!  Amazing right?!  I am so proud of all the girls; they are awesome.  


Some of our 5K finishers
A few group pictures and lots of congratulations later it was time for us to part ways.  It was sad to say goodbye.  I truly enjoyed the time I got to spend with the girls this season.  The program is for the girls, but I learned a lot from them as well.  It was a spectacular way to end the season and we all had such a great time!  
Girls on the Run is so much fun!  Woo!