Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Final Days of Iron Girl Half Marathon Training

Well the time has come.  Ten weeks of training for the Iron Girl Half Marathon in Clearwater, FL is wrapping up and I am getting ready to complete my second half marathon this Sunday.  I am excited about this event!  It is an all women's race and you get to run next to the water.  This is my first race that I am traveling too (although it is only two hours away).  I have never been to Clearwater before so that will be an fun adventure in itself as well. 
With my first half training every week was a new challenge, and although this plan has had its own challenges, I have felt more comfortable and at ease this time around.  


The last time I gave a real update was week four.  I have mentioned some highs and lows but for those that are curious here is the outline of what the final six weeks of my training have looked like:
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
40 mins Bike ride
Easy 3 mi
Easy 3 mi
REST
35 mins Six Pack Abs
Long 9 mi
REST
Easy 2 mi
40 mins Yoga Meltdown
Tempo Workout 5 mi 3 mi @ tempo
REST
35 mins Six Pack Abs
Long 6 mi
REST
Easy 3.14 mi
30 mins Shred It w/ Weights
Tempo Workout 5 mi only 1mi @ tempo (bad run)
REST
30 mins Yoga Meltdown
Long 12 mi
REST
Easy 2 mi
Walking around Chicago
Tempo Workout 6.17 mi 5 mi @ tempo (great/speedy run)
REST
REST
Long 8 mi
REST
Easy 3 mi
30 mins Six Pack Abs
Tempo Workout 4.16 mi 3 mi @ tempo
REST
30 mins Shred It w/ Weights
Long 6 mi
REST
Easy 3 mi
30 mins Six Pack Abs
REST
XT 30 mins
REST
20 min run
IronGirl 13.1 mi
 

I made up this plan myself and it is a combination of the Marathoning for Mortals plan and the Runner's World Smart Coach plan.  I took the things I liked from each and made it fit my schedule.  
I like the ratio I have of three quality running days and two cross training days each week.  Each run has a specific purpose to help prepare me for the race.  I have found cross training to be an essential part of my routine.  It gives me a chance to try some different workouts, give my running muscles a break, work on different muscles that will benefit my running, and it helps me prevent injury by not overworking any muscles.  Cross training is your friend!  


I have really enjoyed the addition of a tempo workouts to my schedule as well.  In my first training plan I just did stride drills, which were good, but the tempo workouts allow me to keep a faster pace for a longer time; a kind of test of my speed.  Plus they add some variety to my workout!  I think they have helped improve my pace as well, which is the main reason I added them to my plan this time around.    


My new shoes, (I switched from Saucony to Asics), which are now three weeks old, have been good.  The toe box has not been an issue in the runs following the 12 miler, so I am thinking they may have just needed some breaking in.  I finally got some new knee straps too (I was in desperate need).  They are bit different that my old ones, but have worked out well.  


This last week is pretty easy going as I prepare for the race this weekend.  We will be off to Clearwater Saturday to check out the expo!  I am on Twitter, so I will try and keep updating the adventures of the weekend there.  


Have you ever traveled for a race before?  What does your training plan look like the week of a big race?  Do you have a lucky race outfit?