Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reading and Running at the Same Time

Recently I have enjoyed listening to a book while running throughout the week.  I usually listen to music during runs because it helps keep me going, but after the Disney half I started to get a little bored with my playlist.  I tried to shuffle the music around and buy some new songs, but it didn't really work.  I had been wanting to read The Help for awhile now since I have heard lots of great reviews for it.  We happen to have the book on CD and my mom kept telling me she really enjoyed listening to it while running, so I decided to give it a try.  I put the CDs onto my iPod and went running.  Guess what?  Listening to a book during a run is awesome!  I often run slight variations of the same route around my neighborhood so there is nothing spectacular or new to see.  The book caught my attention right away and I really looked forward to my runs so I could get a chance to hear more of the story.  


If you haven't read (or listened) to The Help yet I highly recommend it. Here is the book description from Publishers Weekly





The Help"What perfect timing for this optimistic, uplifting debut novel (and maiden publication of Amy Einhorn's new imprint) set during the nascent civil rights movement in Jackson, Miss., where black women were trusted to raise white children but not to polish the household silver. Eugenia Skeeter Phelan is just home from college in 1962, and, anxious to become a writer, is advised to hone her chops by writing about what disturbs you. The budding social activist begins to collect the stories of the black women on whom the country club sets relies and mistrusts enlisting the help of Aibileen, a maid who's raised 17 children, and Aibileen's best friend Minny, who's found herself unemployed more than a few times after mouthing off to her white employers. The book Skeeter puts together based on their stories is scathing and shocking, bringing pride and hope to the black community, while giving Skeeter the courage to break down her personal boundaries and pursue her dreams. Assured and layered, full of heart and history, this one has bestseller written all over it."
I can't say enough good things about this book.  All of the characters are complex and the story itself is very interesting.  The audio version has great voices for all of the characters which really makes the story come to life.  

I just finished this book during my long nine mile run this Saturday (the run itself went very well, one of the best long runs I have had in awhile).  It probably only took me a few weeks to get through the book.  I have a growing list of books I want to read and there never seems to be enough time to get to them all.  I really enjoy reading and listening to books and I love that I now have a new time to do that.  Listening to a book while running allows me to enjoy two of my favorite things! 

Good in Bed Certain Girls: A Novel  Little Earthquakes: A Novel (Washington Square Press)  Fly Away Home. Jennifer Weiner
In addition to listening to a book while running I have also been a library fiend lately and am reading a book during my break at work and before bed.  I recently have been on a Jennifer Weiner kick.  I have read three of her books already (Good in Bed, Little Earthquakes, Certain Girls) and am currently reading a fourth (Fly Away Home).  They are all great reads although I have liked Good in Bed and Fly Away Home the best. 
bKen FollettyThe Pillars of the Earth (Deluxe Edition Oprah's



I just started a new book yesterday on a two mile run through the neighborhood.  I read some good reviews for The Pillars of the Earth, so it is my current running book. 




Have you ever listened to an audio book while running?  What books have recently read and enjoyed?

14 comments:

Victoria said...

good idea! I'll have to try that sometime

Kara said...

I loved The Help. I recommended it to everyone!

I can't stand listening to a book on my iPod. I might be stupid or something, but it kept losing my place in between workouts. It was the most frustrating thing ever and I vowed "never again!"

Cate said...

Kara- I know what you are talking about and I think it depends on your iPod. Sometimes my place is saved, but if it is not I just make a quick note on my training log of where I was in the book before so I can easily find the place again.

Megan said...

I've heard The Help is amazing and it's on my list of books to read. I've never done the audio book thing, but I think I should give it a try. Great idea to do it while running!

Allison @ PickyEatngRD said...

Ive heard of The Help bit have yet to pick it up. Ive never listened it books while running just books while driving to work most days. I might have to try it!

Lauren said...

I've never listed to audio books, but I love listening to podcasts while running! I haven't read The Help, I will have to check it out!

Cate said...

I forgot about podcasts! They are definitely great to listen to during a run. Plus there are tons to choose from.

Sana said...

I so want to do that, I wonder if I can get a book app for the droidddd!

yourdailygrace.com said...

I never thought about listening to a book while running! I love reading books but don't have too much time to, I'll have to give it a shot that way I can kill two birds with one stone!

Amanda said...

What an interesting idea! I might just have to try this very soon!

mindrunningwild said...

this is such a good idea!!!! I've been meaning to download some books from my libraries website where you can do so for free; such a good thing to do while you're running. time will pass without it even seeming to! thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

What kind of books can you get on the iPhone reader apps? Which reader app is best?
I wouldn't exactly call 'listening' the same thing as 'reading' but I think it could be cool, so thanks!

Cate said...

I know there are reader apps for the iPhone, but I don't really use any. I prefer to read them in a book, since it is bigger.
I agree listening isn't exactly the same as reading, but you still get themes, characters, & plot from both! I like having more than one option to read a book though, because my "books to read" list is pretty long. :)

Diana @ VeggieNextDoor said...

What a great idea! I've never thought of trying a book on tape while running.

I LOVED the HELP, and have read every single one of Jennifer Weiner's books except for her latest.

Post a Comment