Tuesday, February 22, 2011

IronGirl Half Marathon Training & Volunteering



Today was the first meeting of Girls on the Run.  I am the assistant coach and will be there once or twice a week.  Today was all about getting to know each by doing some fun movement activities.  We have a small group, but all of the girls are great.  I am so excited to be apart of this organization and I think we are going to have an amazing ten weeks!


I am into week four of my half marathon training. 

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
 Easy 3 mi
35 mins Yoga Meltdown
Speed Workout 4 mi: 1 mi w/ 1/2 mi rest x2
REST
45 mins Kettlebell & Just Dance
Long 5 miles
REST
Easy 4 mi
35 mins Yoga Meltdown
Tempo Workout 4 mi 2 mi @ tempo
REST
Long 6 miles
REST
30 mins walk
Easy 4 mi
50 mins Shred It w/ Weights & Sprints
Tempo Workout 4 mi 2 mi @ tempo
REST
Long 7 miles
REST
30 mins Kettlebell
Easy 2 mi
35 mins Six Pack Abs
Speed Workout 4 mi: 1 mi w/ 1/2 mi rest x2
REST
XT 30 mins
Long 4 miles
REST
 

I combined the Runner's World Smart Coach plan and Marathoning for Mortals plan to create this one.  This training is a bit different from what I did for my first half, because this time I am working on building my speed and making sure to get more strength training in.  So far things have been going well.  After plugging in my race times into the Smart Coach I have an estimate as to what speed each of my runs should be.  With my previous plan I was just running, which ended up working out fine, but this time I am making sure to watch my pace during the different runs.  This has taken some getting used to because the long runs are supposed to be done 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes slower than your usual runs so you can have more time on your feet.  The speed and tempo workouts are new to me as well because in my last plan I was just doing some sprint/stride drills.  These workouts are definitely tough, but I know they are improving my speed.  Plus I always feel pretty good about myself when I finish a strong workout!


I have also started some kettlebell workouts.  We bought Bob Harper's Contoured Kettlebell which came with a short workout DVD.  The workout is quite different than anything I have done before and works muscles I didn't even know I had.  I was sore for about three days after the workout and the soreness finally subsided when I did the workout again.  I have done it a few times since without any issues.  I really like the kettlebell because it is just a little bit different than hand weights and helps you work different muscles.  I also tried Jillian Michaels Shred It with Weights and her 6 Week Six-Pack thanks to ExerciseTV on Demand.  They were both intense workouts and I sweat a ton doing both.  I like mixing in a few different activities throughout the weeks, especially new or different workouts.


Also this upcoming weekend my mom and I are volunteering for the Disney Princess Half Marathon that is happening this weekend.  The council director for GOTR works with the volunteer program at Disney and mentioned that volunteers were needed for the race so I offered to sign up.  We are apart of the Information Team and are there to answer any questions runners may have.  Our shift starts at 2AM so it will be an early morning.  We will be in the first holding area of the race, before you head to the corrals, so if you are running the race you should stop and say hi (we are wearing big Mickey Sorcerer hats and orange aprons).


Are you a fan of workout DVDs?  Which ones are your favorite?  Anyone running the Disney Princess Half this weekend?

3 comments:

Katy (The Singing Runner) said...

Glad to hear GOTR is going well! I love it so far!

I'm REALLY hoping I'm over this shin splint in time for IronGirl. I really don't want to pull out of ANOTHER race, since I pulled out of three this weekend. :/ Even if I have to walk/run the race, I will. I just want to get back into racing!

Have fun volunteering at Disney Princess! I hear it's a lot of fun! :D

Kara said...

I'm glad that you liked GOTR! I want to do that one day!

My favorite workout DVDs (I have two reviewed on my blog if you want to check them out) are usually the Jillian Michaels variety. I really want to check out some P90X workouts though!

yourdailygrace.com said...

I'm running the Princess Half this weekend! I'm getting so pumped I'll look for your sorcerer's hat!

Post a Comment