Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Planning for Another Half Marathon

Yes, I have committed to completing my second half marathon! Plans have been made and registration fees paid.  I mentioned last time that I wanted to do another half marathon.  So I will be running the IronGirl Half Marathon at Clearwater Beach, FL in early April.  I have approximately nine weeks to train.  
I am currently finishing up my last week of recovery from my first half and then training for this race starts!  I already have a good base so this time I am going to work on speed.  I am no speed demon, but I know I can run a bit faster, because, even though my legs were a bit sore, at the end of the last race I felt like I could have given a little more.  I am still finalizing my training plan, but this time I decided to make my own by looking at a few different race plans including Marathoning for Mortals and Runner's World Smart Coach.  I took into account what I did and didn't like in my Disney Half training and tried to find the best balance of training and rest days.  
My weeks are going to include an easy run, tempo/speed run, and long run.  I also want to keep cross training which includes lots of different things but I want to make sure to get in some strength training and yoga in there.  I think those two activities in particular will be beneficial during my training.  


So, as I am putting the final touches on my plan, I am curious: how you come up with your training plan?  What kind of runs are important for you to get in throughout the week?  If you cross train, what kind of activities do you like?  

3 comments:

Katy (The Singing Runner) said...

Woo hoo! IronGirl! I'll be there too! :D Super excited!

Speed and tempo runs are very important to me now! They are difficult, but I love them... oh and of course my long runs. :D

As for cross training, I have really grown to love the stationary bike!

Kara said...

I think the most important runs are speed work or tempo runs...anything that challenges you and makes you breath hard! You have to push it to get faster, so those shorter faster runs are critical (in my opinion). My favorite cross training is probably walking, mostly because that's a baby friendly activity :)

Lauren George said...

congratulations on signing up for your second half marathon! I used Hal Higdon's training plan for my last race and am currently following Runners World Smart Coach plan. As far as cross training goes, I swear by yoga. While I was training for my last race I did yoga atleast 2xs a week and I felt a HUGE difference. I hav never felt better or run faster! Happy Training!

Post a Comment