Tuesday, January 18, 2011

After Crossing the Finish Line of the WDW Half Marathon

So I ran the race, (here is the running race recap) and had just crossed the finish line.  As I slowed down tears began to fill my eyes as I realized I had just finished a half marathon!  I continued walking and was handed my medal (it is the first one I have received for completing a race) and a mylar sheet.  I was still in awe of what I had just accomplished, but waited in a short line to get my picture taken with my medal.  I then walked through the refreshment tent, picking up some mini Clif Builder's bars, water, Powerade, a muffin, and an orange.  


I had to make my way through a maze of people to get back to the designated tent we had planned to meet.  Mom and Andy were there waiting and as they both were saying congratulations I hugged my mom and began to cry.  She told me how proud she was of me and what an accomplishment it was.  The tears were happy and felt appropriate considering how far I have come.  Two years ago I was 273 pounds and today I am down 80 pounds and so much happier than I ever could have imagined back then. 


After drying my tears I knew I needed to keep walking so my legs would feel OK later.  I had noticed that some people had ice packs wrapped around various joints and looked around to see where I could get some.  My knees definitely needed ice.  We found the medical tent and I got all wrapped up.  We then made our way to the car.  I needed to stretch my legs before I went and sat in the car for the 35 minute ride home, so I did.  
I wasn't really hungry, but knew I needed to eat something.  I had some water and a few sips of Powerade, and I decided to drink some chocolate milk.  I think it was just what I needed; it was ice cold and tasty!  I also nibbled on a honey granola bar.


Getting out of the car at home was a bit of challenge.  I unwrapped the ice and carefully crawled out; I could now feel the ache in my legs from the 13.1 miles.  I hobbled into the house and ran the water for a cold bath.  My legs needed the cool bath, even though I wasn't super excited about getting in.  I shivered as I sat in the tub with a thick towel wrapped around my shoulders.  I tried to relax my legs and allow the cool water to help my sore muscles.  I stayed in there about 15 minutes.  After a shower I dressed in some comfy clothes and pulled on my compression socks.  I also made sure to use the foam roller on my legs because I knew it would help with my recovery.  After eating some pizza I was pretty tired and laid down on the couch.  Daisy, one of our cats, joined me for a little cat nap. 


The next day started just as early as the day before.  I went to spectate my mom's first marathon.  Check out her blog to get the full recap; she did an awesome job!  


My legs were definitely sore Sunday, but by Monday I was feeling much better.  My training plan has scheduled three weeks of post race recovery so I can slowly get back into running.  My first run since the half was a little strange, but I have made sure to take the runs easy.  My three mile run this weekend actually ended up being pretty good.  


So what is next?  It is after all a new year and some new goals are needed!  After two more weeks of my post race recovery I plan to work on making my run/walk ratio different.  I want to be able to run longer before taking a walk break.  I am pretty sure I can do this, considering the distance I can run now.  Instead of focusing on distance I will be working more on speed and running continuously.  I am also quite anxious to run another half.  I know that I can do better than what I did last weekend.  I am looking at a few different races and trying to decide which one will be best fore me considering the location, price, and time.  In addition to running I also want to focus more on strength training. 


I am curious - what are your fitness goals for the new year?  Taking on any 30-day challenges?  

6 comments:

Kelley said...

You must have been proud, you were even smiling in the wrapped knee photo!

Katy (The Singing Runner) said...

Congratulations again!!!!

A few hours after Disney I signed up for a second 1/2 marathon in April and then mailed in registration for a 3rd next month! :D I caught the running bug!

Caroline said...

Love the photo of you and Daisy!

Kara said...

Congratulations!

My fitness goal for the year is doing my first ultra marathon this summer :)

Megan said...

I found your blog from dog lick baby world and just wanted to say congrats on your first half marathon! And what a great place to get to run it!
Looking forward to reading more!

Jay Schmitt said...

I am inspired to run MY first 1/2 marathon and Jay too! Congratulations, cate - just a fantastic accomplishment!!!

Post a Comment