Tuesday, December 7, 2010

WDW Half Marathon Training - Week Nine: Traveling & a Garmin!

This week I was in Chicago to explore the city and neighborhoods.  I am planning on moving to the city next year and wanted to scout out some possible places to live.  We did TONS of walking, which was fabulous, even in the freezing weather.  I will be sharing the adventures we had in the city later this week, but lets get to the training information.


Monday I went to the gym and ran for 44 minutes on the treadmill while watching the Today show.  My legs felt good.  I got a bit tired halfway through, but made sure to finish strong.  My IT band and knees have slowly been feeling better as long as I stretch and foam roll, so I am happy about that.  I was really worried when I found out about it.


Tuesday was cross training.  I decided to split it up into a bike ride, where I went around the neighborhood and listened to Christmas music; it was lovely.  I then did a few ab and arm moves when I got home to finish up the 40 minutes scheduled.  


We flew into Chicago Wednesday.  It was a rest day, so I just enjoyed walking around the city.


I had planned on running along the river by our hotel Thursday, but it was really quite cold, like 25 degrees, and I didn't exactly know where I was going to go, so I headed to the hotel gym.  I ran for 48 minutes with a r3/w1 ratio.  The gym was hot, like really hot.  I brought pants and long sleeve shirts, because I thought I would run outside, but I had to roll up both my pants and sleeves.  I was sweating like crazy.  Other than the heat, the gym was very nice.  Every machine had its own television, so it was pretty cool.  The run was tough at points because of the heat, but I pushed through.  I followed the run with four stride drills that went well.  I wore my compression socks the rest of day while walking around the city and it definitely helped my sore legs.  


Friday I headed back to gym with some crop pants I bought on sale at a giant Sports Authority, in hopes it would help with the heat.  I probably should have tried the pants on, because they were a bit tight in the waist, oh well.  The gym was still hot, but I wasn't in there that long, only 30 minutes.  I split the cross training up between the elliptical and some arm exercises with weights.  


The snow outside our hotel Saturday
I had a long run of eight miles scheduled for Saturday, but it snowed overnight and there was 3-5 inches on the ground, so I was unsure about running outside.  We had walked around the city a lot, which was great, but I was tired from our adventures so I decided to hold off on the run until I got home.  


When I got home I found out that my new Garmin Forerunner 305 had arrived in the mail.  Meghann at Meals and Miles tweeted last week that WalMart was selling it for $99, which is quite a deal!  It is an early Christmas gift for myself and I am so excited about it.  This device  does so many things!  It even has a heart rate monitor so I can really keep track of my HR while training.  I used it for the first time on my eight mile run.  
I was a bit nervous (as usual) about this run.  Two weeks ago I tackled seven miles, and boy, that was a struggle.  My IT band acted up, it was hot, and I was tired, not a great run.  I know not every run is going to be perfect, but having a bad run stinks.  I guess the only good thing about a not-so-great run is that you learn what works and what doesn't.  It is only one run too, so you know that not every run will be like that.  This week however I am happy to say that it was a really good run!  This is my first time, like really running, in cooler weather and it was just so nice!  Because it was my first time going eight miles, the run/walk pace was 3/2.  The weather was cool and breezy, which made for perfect running weather.  For my previous long runs I had been mapping out a course, but with the Garmin I can just run and check my watch to see the distance; it worked out wonderfully.  I thought it was going to be much colder so I overdressed a bit and had to loop back by the house at mile two to quickly change into shorts and drop off my jacket.  I also topped off my water bottle.  My legs felt really good throughout the workout and I completed eight whole miles!  (Ahhh, so crazy and awesome!) 


I am heading to my hometown of Beaufort, SC this weekend to see family so I will be running in another new place!


What is your favorite weather to run in?  I am curious since I will be moving to Chicago, if you run in cold weather, what are the clothing essentials you wear? 

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Look how far you have come, in so many ways!! Way to go!

Nichole said...

Holy cow I don't know what I'm most excited about, how amazing you're doing or that ridic deal on the Garmin. AWESOME!

I don't mind the cold, but you certainly have to dress for it. The right pants make a world of difference.

Post a Comment