Sunday, November 21, 2010

WDW Half Marathon Training - Week Seven: Halfway There

Well, I have reached the halfway point of my half marathon training program, which means there are only seven more weeks until my first half marathon.  This is what was scheduled this week:
Monday: 44 mins run 3/walk 1
Tuesday: cross-train 30 mins
Wednesday: REST
Thursday: 44 mins run 3/ walk 1 + 4 stride drills
Friday: cross-train 30 mins
Saturday: 7 miles run 3/ walk 2
Sunday: REST


This week was honestly quite tough.  At the beginning of the week I was still fighting a sinus infection, so I wasn't feeling that great.  
For Monday's run my legs were still sore from the 10K we did Sunday, so I took it easy and kept a nice, slow pace on the treadmill.  It was not the best run, but it sufficed.  
Tuesday I took it easy as well, because I was still feeling a bit stuffy, fuzzy, and sore.  I did a circuit workout.  I didn't add many cardio bursts and instead focused on abdominal and arm moves.  I actually felt much better after the workout than I had all day long.
Thursday's run was OK.  The running ratio was good for most of the workout, but I noticed I felt a little tired near the end of the run.  My strides went quite well.  I ran my fastest 30 second stride so far!
Friday my mom and I went on a bike ride around the neighborhood together.  She was on her road bike and I had the mountain bike.  I worked much harder than I usually do on my rides, trying to keep up with her.  For the last mile we switched bikes.


And then there was the long run Saturday.  Oh boy this one was tough, mentally and physically.  I had planned on getting up around 7 AM, going to WW and then going out for a run.  Well, I must have been tired because I slept right through my alarms and didn't get out of bed until 9:20 AM.  I did not feel like running.  I got dressed and drove over to see if I could make the end of the last WW meeting, made it just in time, and then headed back home.  I still did not feel like running, but knew I needed to get it done.  
I ate a cranberry orange Clif bar and drank a big glass of water.  Since it was now later it was a bit warmer, so I went upstairs and changed again.  After getting my iPod, shoes, knee straps, and G2/water ready, I finally headed out the door at 10:40AM.  As I was warming-up I said to myself, "You can do this Cate.  It is only one more mile than last week.  Stay positive."  I made sure to start off slow, because I didn't want to burn out too fast.  The first few miles were OK, but about halfway through I was hoping it was going to be over soon.  Here and there I had some feeling good running sections, but around mile four my right knee began to hurt.  I stopped for a second, stretched a bit, and adjusted my knee strap.  It also began to get a bit warm at this point in the run, as it was nearing noon, which didn't make me feel much better.  As I continued the pain got a bit more uncomfortable and by mile six I felt pain along the outside of my thigh, around my knee, and down my calf.  I ended up taking longer walk breaks for the last mile; I was just ready to be finished.  I did a slow jog to complete the seven and was so very happy to be done.  
source
The cool-down walk was a bit painful too.  I don't know what happened, because I have never had leg pain like this.  I looked it up on Runner's World and I think I may be having some iliotibial-band syndrome.  I made sure to stretch, ice, and foam roll when I got home, which has helped.  I am also going to try some of the exercises that RW suggests.  I know I don't want to make it any worse than it is so I am going to take it day by day to see how my leg feels. 


On a happier note, I am so glad that it is the week of Thanksgiving!!  I get the whole week off from work and my younger sister and brother are coming home Tuesday for a week of family fun, festivities, and food!  We have plans to go to the eye doctor (I know exciting right- I am considering a new pair of glasses and maybe contacts), a trip to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One (super excited about this!  I am a huge HP nerd!), a family 5K Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning, some Wii Sports and Guitar Hero playing, and lots of delicious homemade food!  It has been awhile since we have all been together, so it should be a fun week. 


Have you ever had IT band issues?  What worked for you to help with the pain?  What Thanksgiving activities do you have planned?

1 comment:

Nichole said...

FUN!! First, KUDOS for you and sticking out your training. You are totally going to have weeks that stink but you powered through -way to go!

I am dying to see the new Harry Potter! Turkey Trot for me too, please!!

Post a Comment