Sunday, November 7, 2010

WDW Half Marathon Training: Week Five - Trying to Find the Right Pace

This week of half marathon training had a few new changes.  Here is what was scheduled:
Monday: 45 mins run 3/ walk 2
Tuesday: 30 mins
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 45 mins r 3/ w 2 & 4 stride drills -run 30 secs w/ 1min walking
Friday: 30 mins
Saturday: 5 miles r 3/ w 2


My two runs during the week increased by another five minutes.  This is good because I am slowly building my endurance.  After reading Marathoning for Mortals I was trying to decide between the run/walk or run plan for the half marathon.  I can run longer than the times recommended on the plan, but I decided to go with the run/walk schedule, because I am still a new runner.  I also know that long distance running is different and that it will be a challenge for me.  For the actual race the plan has me running  four minutes and then walking one minute continuously.  So, I figure I can either run at a faster pace for a shorter amount of time or run at a slower, steady pace for a longer amount of time.  I haven't decided yet.  I have been feeling pretty good about my running so I decided to change my running times this week.  For my weekday runs I went with run for 3:10 and walk for 1:50.  It was a good pace.  I know that is not a huge time difference, but I want to slowly increase the pace to see what is going to be the most comfortable for me to run the race. 


Tuesday for cross training I did another wonderful multi-task workout.  I still LOVE this workout but I think I need to vary some of the strength exercises or maybe increase the time or weight I am using.  Some of the moves are already feeling easier and I want to make sure that I am challenging myself just a bit.  Friday's cross training was only ten minutes, because I went from work to babysitting and did not get home until midnight.  Once the kids were asleep I did a few strength exercises and yoga poses though.  


For the long run Saturday I split it up into two different runs.  I ran the RUNNONA 5K, which was really nice and then followed that with a two mile run.  I actually just ended up running two miles from the race site since it was such a nice area.  Then got picked up for the ride home.  As I mentioned in my race recap I ended up changing my running ratio for the race.  My plan was to run 4/ walk 1, but throughout the race it ended up being around 5-8 minute run with 30 sec - 1min walk breaks, and it worked out pretty well for me.  The other two miles I went with a 3:30 run /1:30 walk pace, which felt good as well.
So the pace and timing thing is still something I am working on.  I guess it is just trial and error to figure out what works best for me.

Next week I have a 6 mile long run scheduled and guess what?  I am running another race!  I have signed up to do my first 10K!  I will be running the Florida Hospital Celebration Health 15th Annual Founders' Day 10K.  


How did you or do you find your running pace?  If you have any tips, articles, or stories about finding a good race pace, please share.  

3 comments:

Nichole said...

Holy smoke, you're moving! This is great:) Look at you go. A race and 2 extra miles, fierce.

I use SmartCoach from Runner's World to help me with my pace. I know what I am hoping to run at (time wise) and the coach helps me find a pace to train with.

Cate said...

I have heard about SmartCoach and actually downloaded the app, but haven't used it yet. Thanks for the suggestion Nichole, I am going to check it out!

fitfunandfabulous said...

My pace is slooowww. The comfortable one for me is around the 12 min/mile area. But any faster and I burn out very quickly.

Post a Comment