Thursday, November 25, 2010

Race Recap: Turkey Trot 5K 2010

I am thankful for so many things including my wonderful family, my fabulous friends, the friendly, supportive people of the blog world, and my healthy lifestyle! 

Today we have lots of eating and family time planned, but we started the day off with a local Turkey Trot.  We did our first Turkey Trot about two years ago and now that everyone is back here this year we decided to try another one.  It was 5K race around Lake Eola in downtown Orlando.  Proceeds from the race benefit Senior's First which provides meals to seniors in the Orlando area.  It is quite a fun event and supports a great cause- because everyone deserves to have a warm meal!  I also think the race is a great way to begin Thanksgiving day.  Your workout is done in the morning so you can enjoy the rest of your day!

I was really excited about this race because my mom, step-dad, sister, brother, and I were all doing the race together.  (Plus I wore my new contacts to the race, it was quite a different experience!)  This year we decided to dress up a bit to add some festivity to the day.  I went as a chef with a cooked turkey on my head, my sister, Caroline, went as a Native American, my mom and step-dad, Andy, went as Pilgrims, and my brother, Patrick, went as a turkey.  We had a fun time coming up with costumes and doing some small arts and crafts to put them together.  
The Family in Costumes Pre-Race
This race was fun!  The race route weaved through some nearby neighborhoods, brick roads, and finished around the lake.  I did have a training run today so I kept to my pace of run 3/ walk 1.  I felt good throughout the race although running on the brick roads was a bit precarious.  We actually saw a few people trip and someone even had a police officer helping them off the track.  It was quite crowded - 5200 people were racing this morning, which made for a busy race route.  I tried to limit weaving around people, but it was necessary a few times.  We didn't stay together the whole time, but four of us ended up finding each other near the end.  I thought we were going to cross the finish line together, but Caroline decided to run ahead and we all sped up to try and beat her.  Andy ended up passing her and crossing the line first followed by Caroline, mom, me, and then Patrick.  We finished around 39 minutes.  
There were free Panera bagels available after the race and we each grabbed some and walked back to the car.  We stopped by Starbucks for some post-race drinks and picked up a newspaper to check out the Black Friday deals!


We are currently preparing and cooking our Thanksgiving meal.  I see some game and Wii playing in our future as well.  It should be a good day!


Happy Thanksgiving!  I hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend and enjoying time with family and friends and, of course, some tasty food!
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?