Saturday, September 25, 2010

Race Recap: Miracle Miles 5K

Well I ran another 5K this weekend and it was great!  I had been eyeing the Miracle Miles race since finishing the Celebration of Running.  Miracle Miles is a 5K and 15K run that benefits the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women & Babies.  This year they raised $25,000, which is pretty wonderful!  I decided to sign up for it after both my mom and I got an e-mail from Track Shack.  She is currently training for her first marathon and was due for a long run today, so she signed up for the 15K.  It turned into a family event as my step-dad decided to run the 5K as well!  

I laid my stuff out the night before, including my iPod with headphones because after the last race where I left them at home I made sure I had them for this one!  I got up around 5:30 am and heard some light rain outside my window.  I got dressed and enjoyed a quick bowl of Kashi cereal and a glass of water.  My knees have been a bit sore this week, so I put on some Perform Gel.  It works really well and has a nice cooling sensation.  I pinned my number to my shirt, laced up my shoes, strapped on my knee straps, grabbed a big bottle of water and we were out the door!

The plan was to get there by 6:30 am, but the traffic was kind of crazy.  The roads were packed and trying to get to the designated parking garage was going to take forever.  We just decided to park on a side street and walked about ten minutes to the start line.  Luckily the sky was just cloudy with a light drizzle here and there.  It was a nice warm-up for the race considering we had about ten minutes before the start.  As we turned the corner and saw the crowd of people lined up, the horn went off to start the race (perfect timing, huh?).  I had my iPod pretty much ready to go and joined the pack.  As I crossed the start line I started my stopwatch (the 5K wasn’t officially timed), and was on my way! 

The sun was not really bright, since it was cloudy and it didn’t really rain, which was good.  It was just SO humid, which made for a sweaty race.  The path was pretty flat with a few inclines, but nothing major.  Since my last race and other runs I have realized that my starting pace is too fast and that makes the second half of my runs difficult.  I made sure to keep a slow, steady pace throughout the race.  I kept that pace and took several short walk breaks between some of the songs and was feeling good throughout.  I was oh so happy to have my music for this race, it just makes the run go better for me.  This race actually seemed to go by quite fast.  Unfortunately, I looked and could not find any mile markers (except for mile three, but by then I could see the finish line), so I didn’t really know how far I was in the race.  I just kind of guessed by looking at my stopwatch and hoped that I was keeping an OK time.  Because it was so humid I was sweating like crazy, but before I knew it I could see the finish line ahead.  I decided to start picking up my speed, however the finish line was a bit farther than I thought and I had to slow down for a few seconds, before sprinting to the finish.  
I have to say I felt pretty great running through the finish line for this race.  I set a personal record (PR) with a time of 38:23!  That is a little more than a minute faster than the 5K I did five weeks ago.  I have been running more and it is nice to see that I am slowly getting better.  I felt so much better, mentally and physically, after this race as well, which is awesome!  
Yummy Parfait!

My step-dad was waiting at the finish line, when I crossed.  This was his third 5K and he finished with an awesome time around 28 minutes.  There were tents setup around the area that were full of fruits, yogurt, ice cream, chips, cheesecake, pasta, sandwiches, dips - pretty much everything.  I grabbed some orange slices, a banana, a slice of watermelon, yogurt parfait from Chick-fil-A, water bottle, energy chews, and a granola bar.  Clearly my hands were full so I sat down and stretched a bit before enjoying the delicious yogurt parfait.  It was vanilla yogurt with fresh strawberries and granola on top.  So good, seriously.  There was still more tents to visit so I walked around and tried some more food.  There was some great mushroom ravioli with lobster sauce and a crab dip that was tasty as well.  There were also some Chick-fil-A cows walking around and my step-dad told me to get my picture taken with them and I did.
















My mom was going to be finishing the 15K soon so we walked over to the finish line.  As we were waiting for her I saw Meghann from Meals and Miles and Kelly from Beneath it All cross the finish line.  They were pretty fast! 
Soon I spotted my mom sprinting to the finish.  She had a great time and got a finishers medal.  We all walked around the tents together.  I spotted Meghann again and was little nervous about meeting her, but I walked up and introduced myself.  I told her I was a reader and that I saw her cross the finish line.  She was super friendly and told me congrats on my 5K.  I kind of just said hi and walked away; I guess I was a bit blog-struck!  I think I saw Megan from MegaNerd Runs as well, but didn’t realize it until after we left.  It was kind of neat to see and meet some of the bloggers I follow!  

All in all, it was pretty-darn-good race day!  I am now at home, in my lululemon compression socks, catching up on TV from this week.  
Hope you are having a nice weekend!

3 comments:

Meghann said...

I'm glad you came up and say Hi!

Congrats again on your 5k! Traffic for Miracle Miles is always CRAZY! I barely made it too! :)

ashleigh said...

Congrats on the 5k and the PR! Way to go!

I bet I would have been blog-struck too :)

Kevin said...

Great job at the race. I was there running the 15K. I am also from Orlando

Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment