Monday, August 2, 2010

July Goals Wrap-Up & Setting Goals for August

OK the month is over and that means it is time to see how the monthly goals went.  This month really helped me get past my plateau and I am happy to say that I am running farther and longer than I ever thought I could.
    
  • Get in more fruits and vegetables.  This was kind of hard.  I don't think I hit my daily count of fruits and veggies everyday, but I certainly got in more than I usually do.  There was lots of fresh cut pineapple and watermelon in the fridge, but I went through it pretty fast and did not go back out to the store to get more (yeah not good).  We also had lots of cherries in the house which were good with my breakfast in the morning.  I enjoyed some berries mixed with greek yogurt several times as well.  I was pretty consistent with the spinach and tomatoes in my sandwiches, I eat a sandwich for lunch about five days a week.  (maybe I should change it up?)  I also made sure that there was always a veggie with dinner.  I enjoyed lots of broccoli, zucchini, and brussel sprouts (my new favorite veggie).  Not everyday was perfect, but I got more in than I did before starting this challenge so there was some improvement and it is something I will continue to work on.
  • Run for 20-30 minutes straight!  Wow I really cannot believe I did this in a months time!  This was definitely a challenge.  I am happy to say that I can now run for 25 minutes straight!  I wanted to make sure I had a good training program I could build up to running that long, so I checked out a few different programs and decided on a Couch to 5K program.  The app is great because it goes right on my iPod touch and tells me when to run and walk through the headphones.  The plan has you run three nonconsecutive days a week for about nine weeks.  It is designed so you can run 30 minutes straight by the time you finish.  This is done by using a walk/run method in which you walk one minute, run one minute for 20 minutes.  Each week the times for running increase and the walking decreases.  Since at the beginning of the month I was able to run between 3-5 minutes I began the program at week 4 and built from there.  There were some good runs and some not so good runs, but I think that is how it goes.  Overall it feels great to be able to run that long.
Well now that those goals have been completed it is time to set some new ones for the month of August.
  • Run a 5K race!  Now that I can run 25 minutes, and am adding more time every week, I think it is time a run a 5K.  This is something I have wanted to be able to do for such a long time and the urge has become stronger as I have gotten into running.  Luckily running season is getting started soon and there are always lots of races here in Orlando.  I have signed up to run the Track Shack's Celebration of Running 5K on August 14.  I am kind of nervous, but really excited by the prospect of running the whole thing.
  • Get organized and get a job.  I moved back home after graduation to get a job and save some money.  Since I have been home, about three months now, I have not really gotten all of my things organized.  I still have some boxes lying around and don't have a desk anymore, so I feel a bit out of whack not being organized.  I think if I find a kind of system it will make things much easier.  My plan is to put some stuff away and find a place for things.  Also, I seriously need a steady job.  I have been picking up a few shifts and babysitting several times, but I would really like to have something on a regular basis.  So I am on the hunt for a job!  I think getting organized will help me with this goals too. 
This month looks like it will be full of running, filling out applications, and organizing, things that will be good for me.  The 5K and job search is a bit nerve racking, but I think if I put my mind to it I can do it!  Wish me luck!

Commit to trying something new or working on something for the month and see how it goes! What are you thinking about trying to achieve this month? 

2 comments:

Kelley said...

good luck on your goals - you can do it!

Keri said...

Hey, 25 minutes is awesome! You can definitely run a 5k...that is so cool that it tells your right on your ipod when to walk and run...

Post a Comment