Monday, August 30, 2010

August Goals Wrap Up and Setting Goals for September

Well, August is almost at a close and that means it is time to see how those monthly goals went....
      
  • Run a 5K race! I put a check-mark next to this goal earlier this month when I ran the Track Shack's Celebration of Running (here is the recap).  Overall it was a good race.  I do live in Florida though and it was extremely hot and humid, which made the run tough, so I took a few walk breaks.  I am still glad that I did it and it is the fastest I have ever completed a 5K race.  (Here is my journey to running a 5K.)  I am currently trying to decide what my next race will be!
  • Get organized and get a job. Well this goal is almost complete.  I have slowly been organizing my stuff, but I still have a little bit more to do, so it is on it's way to being completed.  I did however, get a job, finally!!!!!  It has been tough trying to find one since graduation, but at the beginning of August things started looking up.  I am now a substitute teacher for a school district.  School just started last week, so the application process was sped up so that I could be in the classroom then.  One of the local schools was looking for a elementary music teacher for the next month or so, and after talking with some people at the school they asked me to come and teach.  So I met with the regular teacher and discussed lesson plans and am now teaching music at this elementary school!  This position only lasts for about a month, but the district always needs subs, so it should all work out.  The job is definitely a challenge; teaching is no easy task, it can be mentally and physically draining, but seeing how excited the students are about participating and learning in class is pretty rewarding.  It is going to be a great learning experience for me as well, so although it is tough, I know it is worth it.
Now that those are complete, it is time to set new goals for the month of September.  Here are my new goals:
  • Practice yoga at least twice a week.  I have been reading about the benefits of yoga recently and have actually tried it a few times.  We have on demand Exercise TV and they have a lot of great yoga classes available.  The few I have tried have been great and I would love to incorporate it more into my lifestyle.  I also think the yoga will be a good compliment to running and as a de-stressor after those tiring school days.
  • Get in bed by 10:30 PM on weeknights.  This is something I am really going to have to work on this month.  I am a bit of a night owl, but with my new work schedule that doesn't really jive well.  I have to get up kind of early to get over to school in time, so getting in enough sleep is important.  I know I will be much happier if I am well rested. 
Join along and make some monthly goals yourself!  What are you going to try and improve this month?  Any new fitness goals?  Let me know!