Monday, May 31, 2010

Reasons to Quit Your Soda Habit


In the past 30 years the percentage of obese people has doubled and so have soda sales in the United States.  
I used to be a big diet soda drinker, about one or two a day.  I thought that diet coke was better than regular soda, and it kind of is because there are no calories in the diet stuff and certainly not as much sugar, but that doesn’t mean it is good for you.  I gave up diet soda about a year ago after my sister explained some of the not so good things the chemicals in it can do to your body.  Yes, it was a bit difficult, but I don’t really miss it at all.  So here are some reasons you should also consider quitting your soda habit, yes even the diet stuff:
  • it’s associated with a higher risk of osteoporosis
  • it may lead to kidney stones
  • it’s addicting
  • it wastes hundreds of dollars each year
  • it can make your teeth rot
  • it can make you eat more 
  • it can lead to calcium deficiency
  • it has no nutritional benefits
ECK!  None of those things sound good to me.  I believe that quitting diet soda has certainly contributed to my weight loss and how I feel, plus not buying soda every week has saved me lots of money, which is always great.  At least try and cut back on your soda intake.  It is all about moderation; a soda on occasion is ok, it is the soda everyday that could lead to a problem.  So next time you get a drink consider something besides a soda: water, sparkling water, green tea, 100% fruit juice, etc, because you deserve to do something good for yourself.  

Sources: cnn, facts