Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Exercise: Where to Begin

Exercise seems so very difficult and boring, but all it is moving more.  How do you even begin to exercise or know what to do?  Well, I would say the best thing is to start off simple, take the stairs, park far away from the door, take a walk at lunch, do jumping jacks in the morning, do push-ups or sit-ups when you get home or just move during commercial breaks of your favorite TV show.  You don’t have to do a lot to begin with but you just want to get your body used to moving.  I am not a trainer or doctor, but I have found these things to be helpful for me.  
When I began I really only focused on the food for the first few months so that I could feel comfortable with that part of my new plan.  I was taking the stairs more and parked farther away at the store.  Once I felt pretty comfortable with my food (about four months later) I began walking once or twice a week around the neighborhood.  I would put on my sneakers and grab my iPod for a light walk, it really was nothing too intense.  Yes, there were days I did not feel like going at all, but after you finish you feel so much better about yourself and what you have done.  I find a walk in the evening, after a long day to be a great stress reliever.  It honestly takes about 6 - 8 weeks to form a habit, and that is what exercise should become for you.  You are worth finding or making the time to do something good for yourself.  It started slowly for me, but once I felt good with one circle in the neighborhood, I began making my walking route longer and later took up a group exercise class at the gym.  You begin to challenge yourself to do more because it feels so good when you do it.  

So instead of plopping on the couch when you get home or grabbing a snack put on your sneakers and do something; just getting into the right gear is a step in the right direction and you are more likely to do the work if you are ready to go.  And make sure to do something you like so that you stick with it; if walking is not for you, try something else: bike, kayak, Wii Fit, elliptical, workout DVDs, find the thing that works for you.  So I am here to tell you that you can totally do this!  Move a bit more today than you did yesterday.  Just begin.